CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Resurrection Eggs and Toddler Extension Activities

True to my word, I have not been pushing Boogie to do any worksheets or activities lately. I have been planning an Easter sensory bin, and bought a few things, but, again, I am not obsessing or prioritizing it above the things that are more important.

I have been thinking a lot about how to make Easter special for Boogie this year, though, and have come across several different versions of DIY Resurrection Eggs that I love. Resurrection Eggs are a 12 day countdown to Easter, using symbols inside of plastic eggs to tell Jesus' story from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday. It is a beautiful, tangible idea, and we all know that our kids learn best when there is some hands on, sensory connection.

With that in mind, I took the Resurrection Eggs a step further, and also came up with an extension activity for Boogie to compliment the symbol in the egg each day. I also have been mulling around with short memory verses and songs that correlate but have not come up with 12 of each, so maybe I will figure that all out for next year. The verses that I did choose, I tried to keep short whenever possible. I want Boogie to be able to really listen and not be distracted or bored.

Without any more rambling, here is the Resurrection Egg set that I made my boys, and my ideas for activities for each day from today until Easter Sunday.





Pin It

I already had everything on hand that I needed, so this only cost me the time I took deciding what verses I wanted to use.

In case you want to duplicate what I am doing with Boogie,  I am going to explain what I did for each egg, and tell you the toddler extension activity I came up with. If you would like to use the same verses and translations, you can download the document I created here.

Egg 1 
Item- Leaves (from a garland I had). 
Verse- "So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, crying out, “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!” (John 12:12-13) 
Activity- Gather green blankets, pillowcases, towels, or scarves. Play parachute with them. Lay them on the floor and roll around on them. Sing songs while waving them around the room. This is great for gross motor fun and sensory fun if you have a bunch of different types of green linen. We are using fleece, satin, and towels.

Egg 2
Item- Small bottle of perfume
Verse- “For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial.” (Matthew 26:12)
Activity- Spray perfume or body spray on a number of different index cards. Smell them with your child and talk about the different scents. Which ones he/she likes or doesn't like. If they smell like something familiar. You could also go to the mall if you are feeling brave (or visiting the Easter Bunny) and collect samples from the department stores. Another fun sensory idea.

Egg 3
Item- Cracker
Verse- As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “Take it, for this is my body.” (Mark 14:22)
Activity-  Have fun eating as many different types of crackers as you have in the pantry! You could also have fun breaking them into small pieces first (with your hands or a hammer/mallet like they did at Taming the Goblin) and make a bowl full of crushed crackers. 

Egg 4
Item- Small flowers
Verse- Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and He told the disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” (Matthew 26: 36)
Activity- I have a couple different ideas for this one. Either to go out and find a place to pick wildflowers (or probably weeds like dandelions) or what we will probably end up doing is playing with pretend flowers at home, possibly like these pipe cleaner flowers from Cachey Mama's Classroom. We can stick them in Styrofoam and have some fine motor practice. 

Egg 5
Item- 3 dimes
Verse- Then when Judas, who had betrayed Him, saw that He had been condemned, he felt remorse 
and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders (Matthew 27: 3)
Activity- Sort and wash coins. Boogie will LOVE this. He can get wet, we will probably color the water and add soap, and coins are fascinating to small children, probably because they don't get to play with them very often. This is fine motor practice, too. 

Egg 6
Item- Gold pipe cleaner crown
Verse- So Pilate asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” Jesus replied, “You have said it.” (Luke 23:3)
Activity- Make, decorate, and wear paper crowns. If I get to Burger King anytime soon, we might just turn theirs inside out instead of working from scratch. Boogie isn't big on art projects but I wanted to throw one in there. I think he will like wearing it. We won't do anything glue-y or goopy, I don't think, just crayons or markers, so he can put it on right away if he wants to. 

Egg 7
Item- Nail (ideally you should have 3, but I am using 1and seeing how things go.)
Verse- “Then the soldiers nailed him to the cross” (Mark 15:24)
Activity- Sort real nails by size and pound them in Styrofoam. We will obviously do this very well supervised and only when Bam Bam is sleeping. 

Egg 8
Item- Die/Dice (I just used one)

Verse- “They divided my garments among themselves and threw dice for my clothing.” (Psalm 22:18)
Activity- We are going to roll the dice, count the dots, and then put that number of clothes ON. I will have an assortment but probably mostly socks, mittens, and hats because Boogie can do those mostly by himself. I think he will find it really funny. And it is great practice in both counting and getting dressed/undressed.

Egg 9
Item- Sponge soaked in vinegar
Verse- Jesus knew that his mission was now finished, and to fulfill Scripture he said, “I am thirsty.” A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put it on a hyssop branch, and held it up to his lips. When Jesus had tasted it, he said, “It is finished!” Then he bowed his head and released his spirit. (John 19:28-30)
Activity- Water play with sponges. We will probably color it, add soap, and maybe add some kind of scent.

Egg 10
Item- Gauze
Verse- Following Jewish burial custom, they wrapped Jesus’ body with the spices in long sheets of linen cloth. (John 19:40)
Activity- We are going to do a mummy wrap with toilet paper. I used to love this! The most fun is busting out and throwing toilet paper all over the room :)

Egg 11
Item- Rock
Verse-[Joseph] laid [Jesus’ body] in a tomb that had been carved out of the rock. Then he rolled a stone in front of the entrance. (Mark 15:46)
Activity- Go outside and search for rocks. Boogie loves collecting rocks.

Egg 12
Item- Nothing! It's empty!
Verse- “He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead!” (Luke 24:6)
Activity- We are going to make and eat "Resurrection Rolls", go to church, hunt for eggs, and all kinds of other fun Easter-y things :)

Along with our Resurrection Eggs, we have an Easter sensory bin (with DIY nesting eggs), Easter tot trays (the Hungry Bunny Toddler Game turned out so well that it got a post to itself) and Boogie also enjoyed a bunny muffin tin meal


Linking up to these great parties!

14 comments:

  1. I have been trying to find a DIY extension for the Resurrection Eggs, and this is perfect. I will be working to do this with my kiddos! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Mama Of Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! I couldn't find one either! I am happy that this is something you can use :)

      Delete
  2. I love the extension activities you included. I'm going to have to come back and read them in more details. My 7 year olds would enjoy them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Ticia! I hope the activities go over well in your home! And I love the idea of peg doll Bible story props :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE this so much!!! Sharing on my FB page :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas, Sierra! I loved Resurrection eggs already, and you made them even better with your extensions! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Lent Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/lent/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! I think it will help Boogie to make connections with the story.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for mentioning my flower idea and thanks for linking up to Thinky Linky Thursday!
    Lori @ Cachey Mama’s Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how each activity very thoughtfully goes with each verse and I love the sensory activities you included! It sounds like he will have a blast with these! Thanks for linking up to the Kids Co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea! I was just thinking I needed some more Resurrection-themed activities this week! Thanks so much for sharing at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again! I just wanted to let you know that this was one of the most clicked-on links last week! Congratulations! I'm featuring it at today's Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea! i love all the things you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinned this last year and coming back to it this year. I can't wait to do it with my kiddos, ages 2 and 4.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to every comment either by using the reply function (so please subscribe to the comment thread or check back) or email (if you are a "no-reply blogger", it is an easy change).

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...